Skip to main content

No, not the TV show.

This question was posed by Keith Stone on LetsRun (sorry Keith if I'm hijacking your thread here):
quote:
Speaking of wee hours, I have a question for Scott. At one point I was going to need to calibrate around 10 at night, measure, mark, etc, for a couple hours then do the post calibration at 2-3 in the morning. Technically, you haven't done all the rides "on the same day".

I asked the question of the state certifier at the time, but since I ended up doing the measurement early Thanksgiving morning instead it became a non-issue and I never got an answer. Have you ever run into this?

This is always a grey area. I was told that it's technically a 24-hour period, but that it would be "cheating" to calibrate at noon, measure after work, then recalibrate the next morning.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

We've always interpreted the "same day" ruls as "in the same continuous measurement". We've never had to measure anything that required continuously measuring for more than 24-hours straight.

We always thought the idea behind the rule was to discourage measuring then going somewhere else and post calibrating another time, like Jim said "after work" or the next day after a night's sleep.
A much better rule than the arbitary 24-hr one would be to do the postcalibration at a later time (be it 5 or 50 hours) when the temperature is the same as that during race-course measurement. The calibration factor would be then what it was during the race-course measurement slightly increased by loss of air from diffusion. In most cases more accurate results would be obtained more conveniently.

Of course, pressure-monitoring is by far the better way, since the exact calibration factor is known exactly at the time of race-course measurement.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.