Skip to main content

Gene Newman sent this agenda to several people.

1. How long should we save Certificate and who should save them?
2. Maps requirements!
3. Should we appoint a good measurer’s to Final Signatory status?
4. Annual checking of Maps online.
5. Should there be any renewalls done just for 2011?
6. Code of ethics for Certifiers
7. Insurance and USATF Certified Official status for Course Measurers: We need to make up a test for the Association Level.
8. How many times should we allow an adjustment be made to a Certified Course and the Expiration Date should not be given a new 10 year life!
Original Post
My comments:

1. How long should we save Certificates and who should save them?
Paper certificates should be saved by everybody (certifier, vice chair, registrar) until they expire. Electronic maps should be saved forever.

2. Maps requirements! The map should permit a person unfamiliar with the course to ride in the tracks of the original measurer. There are all sorts of formats which may be used. If the bar is set too high, beginners could be discouraged, and new approaches not tried. Legibility is all.

3. Should we appoint good measurers to Final Signatory status? What do we gain here? At present, a person must serve satisfactorily as a certifier first. After retirement, at the discretion of the Chairman, final signatory status may be granted.

4. Annual checking of Maps online. Every certifier should regularly download a course list to see whether the courses he/she has certified actually get listed.

5. Should there be any renewals done just for 2011? Yes. We made the promise and should keep it.

6. Code of ethics for Certifiers. I believe this to be unnecessary. This is why we have a Chairman. If complaints come in, he must deal with them.

7. Insurance and USATF Certified Official status for Course Measurers: We need to make up a test for the Association Level. I don’t see how this is a matter for RRTC. Anyone at all can measure a course for certification, not just an officer of RRTC. If the Association contracts with someone to do a measurement, it is up to them to figure out how to get them insured.

8. How many times should we allow an adjustment be made to a Certified Course and the Expiration Date should not be given a new 10 year life! Adjustments made to big-city marathon courses are quite common. Often there is little change. Some measurers have collected reference points which can be used to get the adjustments done. In my own case I have years-old pieces of the Columbus Marathon already measured. When I create a new, changed course, I use the existing old measurements along with the measurements of the new sections to complete the “first” measurement. The second measurement includes a complete ride of the course and a split layout. I give the course a new number. I believe this option should be available to the measurer who did the measurements, and don’t like the idea of a new measurer fiddling with a course that was measured by someone else.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.