Skip to main content

I've never had the opportunity to measure with another measurer together over a whole course. I did some measuring with Bob Thurston in Newport News recently but wasn't able to stay the whole time. I have the opportunity to work with another person this weekend to measure 4 courses. I am assuming the following procedure for each course will work.

1.) Both calibrate our bikes on the same cal course

2.) Meausur the course, rider 1 in front doing course layout, rider 2 riding behind doing validation measurement

3.) Both recalibrate our bikes on the same cal course

4.) Check measurements for agreement:
Measurer 1 total length / (m1) WC = L1
Measurer 2 total length / (m2) WC = L2

Difference / L1 = comparison

Is there any reason this will not work?

Any comments from folks who've had an opportunity to do this?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Brandon,

First, the statement #2 doing the validaton is not correct. Rider #2 does follow rider #1 and when Ricer #1 stops so does Rider #2 at the same spot. Rider one's distance should be the desired course length. However, Rider #2 course length will be whatever it is. You compare the two and see if they are within .08%. Next, you use the shorter ride. If it is Rider #1, then all is good. If it is Rider #2, then you adjust course to bring it up to the desired length.
I also suggest that rider 2 keep his distance from rider 1 or rider 1 gives a sign that he is stopping before each target. I once was rider 1 and came to a sudden stop and was given a "gentle" bump from rider 2. The manual calls for a large gap between riders, but it isn't always practical depending on traffic / tail car / etc.

I have an over-exaggerated kick that I do before stopping that has served me well.

Rider 2 should come up with a shorter ride as they can "go to school" on Rider 1 and hit some tangents better. Rider 2 is also not burdened with having to watch the counter the whole time allows for a tighter ride.

Enjoy the company out there. There are not a lot of folks that you can geek-out with and discuss measurement / certification / etc.
Brandon,

I would second the comments you've gotten so far. I hope this will be as much fun as we had in Newport News and I hope your weather will be balmier than what we are experiencing here in the DC area!

Always good if rider #2 can make an independent judgement of the tangents and SPR in general so leaving some space is good. But not too much, you want to keep visual contact and in case someone is running interference in a car, you want other drivers to know there are 2 of you out there involved in this craziness!

I caused an accident once when I suddenly realized I had gone past my point-- my fellow measurer didn't bump me but he went down hard and hurt himself. So that communication or signal Logan talks about is key!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.