Road Course Measurement Bulletin Board    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Course Measurement  Hop To Forums  Electronic Measurement    Digital Terrain Mapping
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Digital Terrain Mapping
 Login/Join

Picture of Tom Riegel
posted
Here is an interesting paper I came across that discusses using a digital terrain model to determine the SPR in a digital format. I think it is part of a PhD dissertation, but it is put together by someone with a good deal of survey experience.

Essentially there is a digital scanner that shoots the topography to be traversed, and a model created of the ground surface.

article

The paper also contains an interesting discussion of different methods used to measure courses. I just thought it was interesting reading, no great leaps forward for now.

Any thoughts?

Edited to make URL live.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pete Riegel,

Posts: 61 | Location: Fulks Run, VA | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pete Riegel
posted Hide Post
A quick scan of the article leads me to the conclusion that the authors believe you can do a better job of measuring using surveying tools and methods, but that it's more time-consuming. Unless I missed something I found nothing new. We have known this for a long time.

Pete Riegel

Posts: 1755 | Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post