Skip to main content

Does anybody have experience with any iphone apps that will allow you to work with tracks and waypoints? I'd like to find something that would do the following:

- Allow download/upload of tracks and waypoints between the iphone app and my Mac.
- Create a track as I ride the course.
- Allow me to create a waypoint at my current location.
- Show me the tracks and waypoints that I have uploaded to the app on a street map so I can follow the course route.

Pretty basic stuff, but I suspect the major difference between different apps that do this will be the interface with the computer. I work with Google Earth and I know there won't be any direct way to download/upload from that application.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi, Sorry for the late contribution; just noticed I was mentioned earlier on!
The UKCM app can store position information from the iPhone against logged waypoints but it does not store the track information. The feature allows logged points to be exported to a programme like Google Earth as a convenience when indulging in further mapping exploits. I can't vouch for the absolute accuracy of the iPhone location information as it is a bit unquantifiable. Consumer GPS units like the Garmin eTrex produce good track information (if maximum time-based updating used rather than heading-based updating) which is easily exportable to Google Earth. I usually restrict all of this data to the business of gross error checking and assistance in the production of the course plan.
Dougie

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.