Skip to main content

I am a Nigeria and an erstwhile Secretary of Lagos State Chapter of the Nigerian Association of Athletics Technical Officials. I am interested in course measurement as road race is increasingly becoming popular in Nigeria. Can someone advise on how I can become a course measurer.

Thanks.

Livinus Oluwafemi Osaze
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Dear Livinus,

You can learn how to do it by downloading a book of instruction.

The AIMS book may be found at: AIMS Site

US information may be found at:US Information

I do not know how the Nigerian Athletics Federation works with regard to your problem, but learning how to do the job is not hard if you study.

It will be up to you to find the people in Nigeria who will be able to give you the credential you seek.
Livinus,

There is also an online course at http://coursemeasurement.org.uk/lessons/index.htm

After several pages explaining basic things it has a test to see if you can cope with the necessary calculations.

If you pass the test you will be invited to do a ten lesson theory course, designed for UK measurers, but it could be used by trainees anywhere.

After doing the theory you need to do a practical test to check your riding skill and measure a real course alongside an experienced measurer. If you had a number of people who had done the theory and wanted to become measurers recognised by the IAAF you could get an IAAF course measurement administrator to organise a practical seminar in Nigeria, or if you ever visit England, I would be happy to ride with you to check your practical skills.
quote:
Originally posted by Pete Riegel:
Dear Livinus,

You can learn how to do it by downloading a book of instruction.

The AIMS book may be found at: AIMS Site

US information may be found at:US Information

I do not know how the Nigerian Athletics Federation works with regard to your problem, but learning how to do the job is not hard if you study.

It will be up to you to find the people in Nigeria who will be able to give you the credential you seek.

Dear Pete,
Thanks for your support. The no support is coming from anywhere. I'm doing this for the love I have for road race and athletics in general.
I will check out the link mentioned. I hope to get IAAF certification some day. Regard.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.