Road Course Measurement Bulletin Board    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Course Measurement  Hop To Forums  Electronic Measurement    Google Earth Photo Change
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Google Earth Photo Change
 Login/Join

Picture of Pete Riegel
posted
I had an unpleasant surprise recently, while researching a 5k route in Columbus, Ohio.

The overhead image of downtown seems to have changed. The old view was nice and clear. The new view seems to have been obtained when the sun was low in the east. As a result, the shadows of the tall buildings somewhat obscure the streets and curblines. It is still usable, but not as nice as the view I remember, which had the sun overhead and all the streets clearly visible.

I marvel at Google Earth, at the way the individual overhead views are gotten from the various cameras and melded into the seamless pictures created by whatever computing machinery Google uses.

Posts: 1750 | Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul Adams
posted Hide Post
I am amazed at the detail and quality available to everyone at no cost.

Did you know that in Google Earth by selecting View/Historical Imagery you can view old satelite images. For my house there are 8 old images available dating back to 1998.

Paul Adams
AIMS/IAAF "A" Measurer

Posts: 82 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pete Riegel
posted Hide Post
Paul - Many thanks for the tip. On some of the earlier images the streets are nice and clear.

Posts: 1750 | Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post