Skip to main content

Had an interesting conversation yesterday. While my wife was buying a pair of running, I started talking to a store employee. He appeared to be a runner, so I asked if that was the case. He replied yes and then I asked him his thoughts on the GPS units this store was selling. He said he finds them to measure a course long in most cases. I asked him if understood why. His response was shocking as he stated he knows that courses he runs that are USATF Certified have a built in safety factor of .1%. I stated other factors that cause them to measure long and he agreed.
After further conversation, I found he was no ordinary runner as he ran the Olympic Marathon trials in Houston as a sub 2:19 marathoner. I wonder if elite athletes like this young man know about the SCPF.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Why do so many people, some measurers included, think that every certified course is .1% long?

The SCPF helps ensure that the course is not short due to wobble and inaccurate riding. That means that most courses are not .1% long, but somewhere between stated distance and stated distance plus .1%. Swerve to avoid a massive pothole, or a storm drain, and you use up some of that SCPF. Wander off the perfect straight-line ride, and more is scrubbed off.

A 5k course may only be 5003 meters, or 5002, but almost certainly is not 5005 meters. We need to do a better job of explaining what SCPF is, especially to someone like the runner you spoke with, who is aware of the SCPF, but is not knowledgeable about it. Besides, a GPS has more error potential than the SCPF, as you explained to him (not to mention him not running SPR).

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.