Skip to main content

It's been awfully quiet here for awhile, so I thought I'd throw this out.

What happens to all the measuring gear (counters, tapes, etc.) when one of our measurers/certifiers ages out?

I'm not quite ready yet, but perhaps in a year or two. I've certainly slowed down as I get older and I'm more selective about the length of the courses that I'll measure now.

Perhaps there should be a spot on the forum where new measurers can find a bargain.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I am always interested in grabbing retired equipment to have as a backup. If there is anyone out there looking to retire a counter, tapes, or any other custom gadgets, please feel free to message me directly.

I am newer to this and in my early 30's and will be measuring for many years to come, but curious about a couple of things:

Do most folks that do this stick with it until they need to retire for physical reasons or what other reasons do people retire?
At what age is typical retirement? Based on TX measurers I know, the guys draw social security before they stop measuring. Curious if that is a national trend.
On a crash-per-year ratio, how many legitimate wipe outs have you experienced?
Is there any interest in a "Course Measurement Chronicles" that would allow for measurers to share fun / interesting stories from their time measuring? I feel like there are some amazing stories out there that would be great to document for measurers and non-measurers to read and enjoy.
I've trained a several measurers, some have stuck with it, some others retired early. I'm in my 70s now and I still like to get out and measure shorter courses. I don't do marathons and halfs these days. I believe my mentor, Wayne Nicoll, retired from measuring at 78 or 79.

Wayne was very helpful when I started and I try to pay that forward. So, whenever I was asked about course certification, I had a standard response that explained "anyone can measure a course using USATF accepted practices." And when somebody expressed an interest in doing the measurement themself, I'd offer training (free), tips, and advice, and suggest that they could add their name to the list of measurers and perhaps have some fun and earn some money.
I agree about a place to list equipment no longer used. Counters, steel tapes, handlebar-mounted clipboards, lights.

I know some measurers who have been retired from day jobs for a long time, and they are similar to Ron - just do 10k or less courses. I hope to be doing this for a long time, as I want to travel, take my bike, measure some courses, and write-off my mileage.

I have trained some wanna-bes that didn't get into measuring, but I still can't get them to get their Jones back to me so I can buy it back. Would like to have more sitting around, personally.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.