Skip to main content

Hi: I don't know if this has ever been asked before. I purchased my (Paul) Oerth Counter around 1997. At the time I recall vividly speaking to Paul on the phone. I told him that I was interested in owning the counter so I could accurately measure the roads near my home where I typically run. I told him I had no interest in certifying any of these routes. His response was, why not. It was as if he was saying there is nothing wrong with certifying a course that may only be used occasionally by one or at the most two or three people. Maybe I misunderstood what he was saying. But that is my question. Is there anything in the rules or anywhere else that says a course can't or shouldn't be certified for one's own private use. And even if there is no rule against it, is it just not the right thing to do? If I'm going to go through the trouble of accurately and meticulously measuring a course, what would be so terrible in having it certified for the cost of the state certifier to review the submissions. Is this wrong? I mean, I don't have to have it put up on the website on the list of certified courses for my state, but there's something cool about having your own USATF certified course and now that I know how to go about it and have done a few of them, it would be no big deal. Thanks for your help. Jack
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Once a course gets certified, it is recorded in our data base. Hence, it would show online. If one does't want it to show, I would have to mark it as unusable or inactive. However, when doing a searc for this courses it could be found by clicking the link to search for courses that don't show as active.

Why would you want it not to appear?
Last edited by genenewman

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.