Skip to main content

On a track with a curb the official length of the track is measured 30cm from the inside edge of lane 1. If the length of the track 30cm from the inside edge is 400 meters, it means the length along the inside edge is 398.12 meters.

Are all tracks built assuming there will be a curb, and therefore are made to be 398.12 meters along the inside edge? Or are there some tracks that are assumed will never have a curb, and are therefore made to be 398.74 meters along the inside edge (20cm offset)?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Mark
Good question.
The simple answer is that some tracks are built (surveyed):
1. to have a curb (Kerb for our friends on the other side of the Pond). The measured lines for these are 30cm from the outer edge of the curb.
2. not to have a curb. Measured 20 cm from the outer edge of the inside lane. Which is the same measurement technique as lanes 2+.
3. And then there are some tracks built(surveyed) 30cm out and never have a curb!.....which of course is not acceptable.

All outdoor international level tracks have a curb. It's required for World Records. Also, nearly all college/university tracks are built/surveyed for a curb.

Most high school & middle school tracks are built without a curb. Curbs are expensive and can be difficult to maintain.

There is a simple way to determine if a track was measured to have or curb (or not):

Measure the distance in lane 2 from the common start to the 1 or 2 turn stagger (it's easier to do the 1 turn stagger - also used for the 800 meter start). Remember to measure 20 cm from the left hand line.
Then measure the same in lane 3.
If the stagger is the same between lanes 1 & 2 and 2 & 3, the track was measured without plans for a curb.
If the staggers are different, then the track was measured for a curb.
David,

Apparently some middle school and high school tracks are designed and built with the idea that they will have a curb. I measured one at a middle school close to where I live, and it is 398.12 meters (what it should be if there is a curb). And Pete measured one in Ohio (OH10005PR) that also came out to 398.12. There was never any curb on my middle school track.

But after reading your post I checked the length of the staggers on my track with Google Earth. Lane 1 stagger was only about 4cm shorter than the others. If the staggers were designed for a curb the difference should have been 31cm. When it warms up I'll go out there and measure them for real, but it looks like we might have a mixed bag on this track.
Mark,

It is dependent on the rules of the various sports governing organization (NHSF,NCAA, USATF, IAAF, or recreation/fitness) for which the owners plan to use the track.

Plus, the NCAAA, USATF, & IAAF have other rules for tracks that include: lane width, inclination, radius, markings, and more. A track built to the IAAF specs will be accepted by all other governing organizations.
The IAAF Facilites Manual has all of the specifications you or anyone would ever need:
(this is a link to their regulations page. The online manual is in two parts because of it's size).
http://www.iaaf.org/competitio...gulations/index.html

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.