Skip to main content

The USATF procedures manual states that the thermometer is to be placed on the pavement, in the shade during the measurement of a calibration course. Won't a concrete surface in direct sunlight transfer heat to the tape during the measurement? The IAAF/AIMS procedures manual makes no mention of the thermometer's placement.

Another difference between the USATF and IAAF/AIMS manuals is the calibration course length adjustment for temperatures greater than 20 degrees C. The USATF says leave it alone, except for validation purposes, while IAAF/AIMS recommends shortening the course.

I expect that the USATF position is to err on the side of a calibration course that is at least the stated distance.

Laurent
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This is a good topic. I recently set up a calibration course in the afternoon on a warm sunny day. I prefer to set up a clibration course on a cloudy day or early in the morning, but in this case I had no choice. After the measurement the rolled up tape felt warm to the touch so I tried to measure the temperature of the tape itself. I did this by placing my thermometer on an insulated surface and then placing the rolled up tape on top. After the temperature stabilized it read 34ºC so that is the temperature I used to shorten the calibration course.

My way of dealing with this is to use a laser thermometer and take several readings of the road surface after stretching out the tape to let it warm or cool to the ambient pavement temperature, which usually only take a couple of minutes or so. The difference between my experience and Mike's (above) might be that my tape is yellow and his is white. It would be good to know.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.