New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calibration Course
 Login/Join 
Picture of Ken Hardwick
posted
I have been using Don Garrett's Calibration course this year. It's about 15 miles away but for the courses I have measured this year it has been somewhat on the way to the course location. However, I really would like to create a premanent calibration course near my house.

Just a short distance from my house, I have found a 450+ meter long drainage way. It is 1 meter wide with smooth surface with curbing on each side. It is slightly slooped so that water can runoff. My Garmin GPS shows a drop of 3 meters over the 450 meters.

Ken Hardwick
Measurer

Posts: 91 | Location: Norman,Oklahoma | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken Hardwick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Hardwick:
I have been using Don Garrett's Calibration course this year. It's about 15 miles away but for the courses I have measured this year it has been somewhat on the way to the course location. However, I really would like to create a premanent calibration course near my house.

Just a short distance from my house, I have found a 450+ meter long drainage way. It is 1 meter wide with smooth surface with curbing on each side. It is slightly slooped so that water can runoff. My Garmin GPS shows a drop of 3 meters over the 450 meters.

Any reason I should not use this as a calibration course.

Below is picture of the area that this is in.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pete Riegel,

Ken Hardwick
Measurer

Posts: 91 | Location: Norman,Oklahoma | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tom Riegel
posted Hide Post
Ken,
I wouldn't try it in a hurricane, bit I think it would be ideal. It is probably as smooth and flat as man can make without getting over-zealous.
The question is, why not use the cul-de sac?

Posts: 59 | Location: Fulks Run, VA | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken Hardwick
posted Hide Post
Tom,

Thanks for your reply.

cul-de sac - The one I live on is way less that 100 meters long. Even if I found a straight streach that was 300+ meters long in my neighborhood, it would be hard to find one without cars parked.

Sure won't have to worry about traffic, cars parked, etc. on this proposed course.

Ken Hardwick
Measurer

Picture of Gene Newman
posted Hide Post
The type of surface may give inconsistent readings. What if it's wet or if there is a bad storm then the area may develope potholes. My vote would be - no!

There must be an area close to you home.

Posts: 879 | Registered: 26 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken Hardwick
posted Hide Post
Gene,

Thanks for your feedback.

Suprisingly, this is actually a very smooth, cement surface. Much better than most roads. Road my bike on it today and seems to be a pretty good option.

And, I do have another location that would work. It is an asphalt surface with cement curbing. 400+ meters. It's only a few miles away.

Most likely will measure and certify both locations as calibration courses.

Ken Hardwick
Measurer