Skip to main content

The manual provides the following information regarding calibration courses:

“…a short calibration course close to the race course is better than a longer one farther away.”
And:
“shorter calibration courses (300–400 meters) are very handy when you must travel a long distance to reach the race course site: You can quickly tape a short calibration course at the site and then use it for measuring that particular race course.”

I am curious to know if 'father away' and 'long distance' are actually defined (or have I just missed it somewhere?).

If there is not a defined maximum distance between a calibration and race course, does anyone have some basic guidance to provide regarding what is acceptable?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Basically, as long as the calibration course is certifiable there is no defined maximum distance.

I routinely use my 1000 footer in front of my house to measure courses as far away as 40 miles. When I do this I know I am taking the chance that a postcal adjustment may be necessary, or that I may get a flat. The driving time adds to the time between measurements, but it is rare for that time to exceed four hours.
Rick:
The relevant factor is not distance between the calibration course and the race course, but temperature change between the two. Thus calibration done one mile away may give poorer results than one done a hundred miles away.
Pressure monitoring allows for temperature change, so only one calibration course next to your home is ever necessary.Postcal adjustments are not required and flats are not a problem.
Last edited by neville
Matt,

It has not been approved because I have not heard from enough people as to the following:
1. Can the average person set this up.
2. Do we have enough data to verifiy it's accuracy? Maybe other besides Neville could do a comparison between post rides and tire pressure tables constructed by Neville.

I will admit I have not used it for whatever reason. Maybe Neville could give a demonstrtation of trie pressure at the USATF convention?

Have you tried it? If so, has it been easy for you to set up and do you feel it works.

The electronic counter was not approve immediately and tire pressure monitoring is probably a good thing but we need to wait.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.