Skip to main content

Does anybody have a clue how tension is maintained using a spring scale and a two-person taping crew?

With a two-person crew, one person must hold proper tension and read the tape at the same time. I have tried this and found it to be a hard thing to do. Generally the scale is offset from the mark on the tape, and it's nigh impossible to hold proper tension while being sure both readings can be read.

In my opinion it is a three-person job, yet I see many applications for certification of a calibration course that mention only a two-person crew.

I've never done a decent job of maintaining proper tension while simultaneously reading both scale and tape. Can anyone explain how this is done?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I had always assumed people did the following:

From http://www.rrtc.net/book/cal-layout.html

You needn't actually use a spring balance this way while taping your calibration course; it is enough to do a few trials beforehand to get a feel for the correct tension. With a little experience, it will be easy to judge the proper force, and you'll be able to dispense with the spring balance entirely. Note: It is acceptable to answer question 17 on the "Application for Certification of Calibration Course" by saying you estimated the tension "by feel."
All my calibration courses were measured by three person teams. I require that a race director recruit two people to help me with this. I don't see how anyone could read the tension scale and mark simultaneously. I find that a third person is also needed to walk along the tape making sure that it isn't twisted. I use a 50 meter steel tape. You might not need to walk along a shorter tape.

Dale Summers

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.