Skip to main content

Pete's pics and posting about my motorized bike have sparked interest in several measurers.
I got my kit from Rawmotors.com but a quick search of the internet shows several suppliers.
I chose the 66cc kit for the extra power. I assume the smaller engines would be adequate. My 66cc bike averages 25mph or more on flat smooth roads. It can drop off to 15mph on long steep hills. The top speed for a counter is under 20 mph although I haven't destroyed a counter in about 3 years. Riding over 20 mph risks catastrophic counter failure.
A few things I have learned along the way are
* Use a single speed coaster brake bike if possible. I started out using the clutch and rear brake with both levers on the left side of my handlebars. This was awkward so I converted to a coaster brake wheel and had to deal with a way of keeping the pedal drive chain adjusted. I eventually ended up using a rear derailleur to take up the slack since my bike has no provision to adjust the chain.
* Expect the wheel and spokes to wear more than normal. The motor puts extra strain on the rear wheel.
The motor calls for a 16 to 1 fuel/oil mixture. Even with 50 to 1 oil stay with 16 to 1. I tried 40 to 1 and the engine ran poorly once it warmed up.
* Pay attention to the clutch lever arm to cable angle. For best results it is best to achieve a 90 degree angle with the clutch completely pulled in and released. There isn't a lot of play in this area and once i got the angle right I could lock clutch lever in and not have the engine stall when stopped. This is really helpful when calibrating.
+When the bike is completely assembled it is heavy. I have run out of gas a couple of times and pedaling miles back to the truck was a workout.
Hope this is helpful.
Mike
Original Post

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.