Skip to main content

Why do we use the average of the two raw measurements when measuring calibration courses rather than taking the measurement that yields the longest course length? For example, if a 300 meter course was desired and the first measurement was 300.00 meters and the second of the two measurements came to 299.98 meters, if the shorter of the two measurements was taken, an adjustment of 2 cm would be done (assuming no temp correction) as opposed to a 1 cm correction if the average measurement is taken. Taking the average for calibration courses seems inconsistent in comparison to taking the shorter of two measurements for a road course measurement. I realize that this may seem a trivial to some but a measurer asked me this question recently and I could not come up with a good answer. Can anyone help here please? Thanks.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I think the logic behind this dates back to the original measurement philosophy- "AVOID SHORT COURSES".

We use the longer of two measurements of a race course as one of our ways to insure that the course isn't short. That's also why we use the larger of the two calibration constants to calculate the course length.

Nobody sets records on calibration courses. There is no motivation for them to be anything but accurate, and the best way to do this is to average the measurments.
When we measure a race course twice we use the shorter measurement to establish the length of the course not only to avoid short courses, but also because it is almost certainly the more accurate of the two measurements. There are many ways to end up with a long measurement (bad tangent riding, etc.) but it's not as easy to end up with an incorrect short measurement.

When we steel tape a calibration course there is no reason to believe that either the shorter or the longer measurement is more accurate than the other, so we average.

For calibration rides, the smallest count we get is also probably the most accurate, but we use the average because of the danger that using the smallest count calibration ride will result in a short course. In this case, we allow "avoid short courses" to override accuracy.

That's my take on things anyway.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.