Skip to main content

I needed a cal course yesterday for a measurement in a town far from where I live. Fortunately, generous Bob Thurston has taped many cal courses in the greater D.C. region. I found one nearby the course to be measured. Problem was, it is in the Beltsville Agricultural Research Center in Maryland, a 6,600 - acres/10.3 square mile plot, and Bob's excellent map, like most cal course maps I have seen, had no address listed for or near this course. Because Bob had indicated cross streets close to either end of the course on his excellent map, I was able to find it without difficulty.

Yet - I noticed a building on one side of the course. I couldn't help thinking how much easier it would have been to find if Bob had listed this address.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

David, I think it would be crazy to use the course without checking it. I calibrated at home last weekend (2 a.m.), then drove 3 hours to the courses I was to measure. Dave Poppers set a cal course there in 2004. Nails and paint are still there. I rode his course, and got the same clicks I had gotten at home. Did post-cal on his course.

It is nice to have airless tires, as there is much less fluctuation due to elevation, and even temp.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.