Skip to main content

Hey Guys,

I just confirmed a marathon and half marathon measurement later this summer. To save some time in the Texas summer sun, I have partnered with another local measurer to measure both courses as a team, as described in the procedures manual. Overall the process sounds straight forward, but I love to get any advice that you guys can impart. What success/failures can you guys share on the team measurements?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Logan,

You both should calibrate your bikes on same course. I suggest you be the lead rider and figure how may clicks you need for the desired distance and splits. Have the other rider ride behind you and let him choose what he feels is the shortest possible route. When you get to different splits record these for each rider. Yours will be known and his will be whatever they are at the spot you stopped at. At the end of the course you will stop at the desired spot as well as the other rider. Your distance is whatever you chose for your total counts. You will then compute his distance and them compare the two rides. If his is longer than the desired distance and is within the .08%, then you ride is one used. If his ride is less than the desired distance and the two rides are within .08%, then add whatever is necessary to his distance to make it the correct length.
Logan, I agree with the advice Gene and Tom have given you. Here are a couple of footnotes:

1. Once you guys get a lot of experience with this, you'll find that having 2 riders offers a great opportunity to apply the "sum of shortest splits" method of analysis that is explained in the manual. You compare both measurements of each mile and select the shorter measurement in your final summation. But using the overall measurements is a good way to start.

2. One exception to the advice to keep a good distance between you, just my opinion, is when this compromises safety. For example if you are using a vehicle behind you for protection from traffic, you don't want to be too spread out beyond that vehicle, or else motorists will just be roaring around you dangerously. But a little separation is also good for safety: last fall I was leading just such a double ride, in front of a car, when I suddenly jumped on my brakes, causing my measuring partner to crash and fall. Ouch, don't do that!

3. (out of 2): it's important to do lots of talking, letting each other know what you're going to do, making sure you're both on the same page as far as how the course is defined etc.
We've been doing this for a few years, following the process noted by Gene, Tom & Bob. It saves a ton of time.

A trick we use it that the 2nd Guido Brother starts with his front wheel touching my rear wheel, not on the mark that I use. We record splits and end points in the same manner, his front wheel touching my rear wheel. It eliminates fumbling around to move bikes to allow him to use the same marks I use.

As gene notes the "follow" rider usually has the shorter rides. I think it is because he isn't distracted by looking for JR counter readings and where the next turn is.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.